Wednesday, September 7, 2011

We Want to Know Wednesday

Photobucket
Today's questions are brought to you by Queso, because she's awesome, and they are:


1. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. It’s a day of family and joy. I have many great memories of Christmas with my family in Colorado when I was growing up. Now I am trying to start new traditions and make memories with my kids and hubby. I like seeing their faces light up when they get a cool, new toy or something they have really wanted.


2. Do you have any fun holiday traditions? What are they?
We now make a boat load of sugar cookies for the kids to decorate and they get taken over to whose ever’s house we’re doing Xmas dinner at. We save some for us too. And I also make my grandma’s fudge that day. We always put up the Xmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. Kind of fun watching the kids fight over who gets to put up the most ornaments. Now we basically have two trees so that we put up most of our ornaments. Oh and then we go driving around to look at Xmas lights around town. We get into our comfy clothes or jammies, turn on the Christmas music and look at the decorated houses.


3. When do you start Christmas shopping?

I try (keyword try) to start around Halloween. But things always mess up my schedule or budget. I really should do it throughout the year like my grandmother did. Sometimes it is just so hard to decide what to get certain people, you know like in-laws that you don’t particularly care for or a coworker that you don’t know that well? So ultimately, I can be seen still shopping up til Christmas Eve. My goal is to NEVER be out shopping on Christmas Eve, that is family time.


4. What is your favorite holiday food?

Yes.................Oh wait, I have to pick one?!? I don’t know that I can narrow it down! I think I will have to go with my grandma’s homemade fudge. Now I have perfected her recipe and get to enjoy it every year. If I am in a jolly mood, I even share some with friends and family.


5. Share a favorite childhood holiday memory
Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at my grandparents with the whole family. Christmas Eve we’re making cookies for Santa and playing games. Then Christmas Day after Mass we had brunch complete with the Screwdrivers, Blood Mary’s and coffee. We then opened presents but the last present to be opened was from my grandfather and it was always a 15lb box of chocolates from Michelle’s Candies. Then we played games, watched movies, played in the snow, and had leftover ham for sandwiches for dinner.  Maybe this year I will incorporate the Screwdrivers into our breakfast menu. :O) LOL


6. Have you ever actually tried fruitcake??
Against my will, yes. My grandmother made some one time and told me I had to try it. I don’t think I ever remember gagging so much except maybe with morning sickness.  NEVER AGAIN.

4 comments:

  1. Love these! Making sugar cookies with the kiddos sounds like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun fun memories. :) See I knew better than to try fruitcake, thanks for validating my feelings. UGH it even looks scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh yes, its the best feeling to see the kids get so stoked about their gifts! i love that :) and we do the same thing with the Christmas lights! its one of my favorite things to do! and seriously... i was debating trying fruitcake, but i just don't think i can bring myself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL with the screwdrivers, I think that is a good tradition! Years ago we would make mimosas for brunch. I loved your grandfather's gift with the chocolate! That would be a very nice gift indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete